Lancey sediment deposition area
Sediment deposition area in the Combe de Lancey area in Villard-Bonnot (Isère, France).
Lancey sediment deposition area (France) - Client: Municipality of Villard-Bonnot - Scale: 1:40
During the 2005 floods, significant flooding occurred in Villard-Bonnot, in particular under the effect of intense sediment transport that must be managed more effectively.
In the context of redevelopment of the former papermill in the town of Villard-Bonnot, installation of a structure to function as a sediment deposition area is being considered.
Purpose of the physical model
1. Dimensional design of the deposition area outflow structure:
- Capture of sediments during large floods, and full opening of the gates during regular floods
- Capture of floating debris
2. Checking of the effectiveness of the deposition area (storage capacity of 20,000 m3).
Description of the physical model
- Simulation of a 100-year flood, such as the 2005 event
- Validation and optimisation of the development
- Test in case the deposition area is already saturated
- Continuous measurement of sediemnt inflows and outflows; monitoring of the topography of deposits at the end of the test
- Addition of floating wooden debris
- Grain size sensitivity test
Grain size distribution
Dimensions of deposition area
D16 = 20 mm
D50 = 47 mm
D84 = 111 mm
150 m*150 m