Charmine dam (France)
Design of an additional spillway on the dam
Client : EDF - CIH - Model scale : 1/35
Artelia was contacted by the EDF hydraulic engineering center with a view to studying various developments aimed at increasing the capacity of the flood spillway while remaining below the maximum water level elevation.
Aim of scale model
- Check the capacity of the components of the present spillway,
- Study the flow conditions;
- Test the capacity of an additional PK Weir type spillway;
- Check the energy dissipation conditions with two different outlet chute solutions.
Description of scale model
- Large part of the reservoir represented to ensure that approach currents were correctly represented
- Existing and manoeuvrable gates
- Additional developments e.g. PK Weir
- Two types of chute: smooth chute with flip bucket and stepped chute