Bal-Haf LNG Terminal (Yemen)
Stability of the terminal shore protection
Client: Yemen LNG Company LTD - Scales: 1/35.2 et 1/36.4 (models 2D) et 1/47.7 (model 3D)
The plant is located on a platform excavated out of the hillside and right next to the sea. Reclaiming land from the sea is out of the question due to the presence of coral reefs. The defences, with a total length of 1500m, must guarantee platform stability under wave attack and limit overtopping. Building the defences at this site is particularly difficult due to the steeply-shelving basalt coastine. Furthermore, the monsoon wave climate is severe.
Hydraulic tests in wave flume (2D)
- Wave stability of the shore protection
- Measurements of overtoppings
- Tests of the armour in ACCROPODETM of 1.5 et 2.5 m3
Shore protection of the terminal in wave basin (3D)
- The design of the structure was validated using a 3D physical model to study the stability of the structure and measure overtoppings in several sectors of the terminal.
- The armour of the shore protection was tested with ACCROPODETM blocks of 1.5 to 4 m3.
- Tests were performed with waves conditions up to 100-year return period.